Thursday, July 29, 2010

Another Jam

Actually two jams, one was traffic, the other was Peach Lime Jam.  Last night we were headed to the Orange County Fair.  Every year I enter something, so I get the free ticket.  I'm usually very lucky and get a blue ribbon.  One year I was actually a Division Winner for a piece of jewelry I had made.  Anyway, it is kind of tradition to go on the first day of the Fair, to see if I won something.  I was out of town when it began, so we were going to meet friends for dinner at the Fair.  It was the traffic jam from fair-goers hell.  We didn't want to hike a couple of miles just to park, so we said forget it!  I'd never seen it so crowded.  I still haven't found out if I won anything.  For some reason, I don't think so.  But then the one year I knew I wasn't going to win, I got a blue ribbon.  Go figure.

I made Peach Lime Jam last night and here is the recipe.  It is my new favorite!

Peach Lime Jam
.1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups peaches, peeled
1 small lime
1/2 cup water

Zest the lime over a saucepan.
Add the peaches, water and the juice of the lime.
Mash and stir the ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce heat to a bubbly simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring ccasionally. As the mixture begins to thicken, stir more often. It will reduce and begin to gel in about 15-20 minutes. When it gels, pack in bottles and BWB for 10 minutes. You know the drill.

Cook's Notes:I found the recipe and didn't think about it later, that it doesn't need pectin. I used about 1 1/3 cups of sugar, as the peaches were sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment