Thursday, July 15, 2010

Excited About a New Book

Okay, can you be in love with a book? I bought this one last night and LOVE it.  It has easy to understand intructions and lots of fabulous photos, not to mention recipes.  It also contains practical advice about storing fresh garden produce and gives you real time numbers for storage length.  The recipes are also geared towards smaller quantities of production. Some of the chapters included are;
Natural Preservatives
Natural Storage
Savory Preserves 
Preserving in Oil
Simple Salting, Curing and Charcuterie     
& Brewing Beer and Wine Making
I don't drink so I might not find the last chapter that useful.  ;)
I found the fruit paste recipes intriguing and they looked marvelous wrapped in wax paper and tied with a simple string.  Interestingly, the pastes are placed in a cool dark place to mature for 4-6 weeks and can be served with a cheese platter. I feel some Christmas gifts coming on.  With so much wonderful produce from home gardens and fruit trees ripening, this is a great addition to my library.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book review. I can't wait to see what recipes you are going to make out of that book.

    Can I be on on your Christmas list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send you a fruit paste, how's that?

    ReplyDelete