Thursday, August 5, 2010

Apricot-Pineapple Jam Recipe

Apricot-Pineapple Jam
3 cups apricots, pitted and chopped
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 box of pectin
8 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. butter

In a large pan, mix apricots, pineapple and lemon juice.  Add the box of pectin and stir.  Bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally.  Add the sugar and the butter, bring back to a boil and cook for 4 minutes stirring constantly.  Pack and process for 5 minutes at sea level.

Cook's Notes: I added about 5 cups of apricots instead of 3.  I also used the no sugar needed boxed pectin, since I couldn't find Pomona Pectin  I used about 3 cups of sugar instead of 8, which to me seems crazy. I found that that was even too sweet to my taste and in the next batches only used about 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  I also let it cook longer than four minutes.  I like a thick jam and can't always count of packaged pectin.  I probably let it cook for about 15-20 minutes a batch.  I also doubled the recipe and had no program when I let it cook longer. It is a tasty jam!

1 comment: