Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mock Spiced Apple Rings

I am soon to return home and find large cucumbers that no one has picked.  They usually are hiding, have turned yellow and weigh about 10 lbs. each.  I usually don't do anything with those.  That was until I found this recipe on the preserving food group.  Who would have thunk it?  Basically candied cucumbers.  I'm game.

Mock Spiced Apple Rings
Peel the cukes. Slice in coins about 1/4" thick. Remove the seed and the gel around the seed. Place the rings into a pan and add about half a cup of salt and cover with ice. Store in the fridge for a few hours. Put together your favorite sweet pickle brine then add a couple bags of cinnamon red hots candy (sometimes called cinnamon imperials). Heat the brine to a boil, add the drained and rinsed rings. Return to a boil. Pack into jars (I use pints), fill with the brine and BWB for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment