Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Still Have Leftover Turkey?

I Dare You to Eat ItI used a recipe I adapted from Liesa Card's book, to finish off the rest of the edible turkey bits.  Her recipe is Hot Chicken and Wheat Casserole.  I subbed turkey for the chicken.
Hot Chicken & Wheat Casserole
Fresh Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
1 c. celery, diced
1 c. onion, diced
1 c. green pepper, diced
2 Tbl. butter
Storage Ingredients:
6  c. cooked wheat berries
2 cans (12.5 oz.) chicken chunks
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1 can sliced water chestnuts (6 oz)
1 c. bread crumbs

Saute the diced veggies in 1/2 cup butter until partially cooked and bright.  Add wheat berries, chicken chunks, soup, mayo and drained H20 chestnuts.  Stir to combine.  Pour mixture into an oiled 9 x 13 pan and sprinkle the top with browned bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.

She says it is better prepared a day ahead of time.  I skipped the water chestnuts. I browned the bread crumbs in a pan with butter after I did the veggies. 

Verdict: DH said, "Yeah it wasn't bad. I'd eat it again." 
I liked it, personally.

1 comment: