Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fit Chick Granola

Oh, and did I mention I made granola, also? I opened a #10 can of 6-grain and used the following recipe from a friend:
One Fit Chick Granola

4 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 Tbl vanilla
1 1/2 Tbl cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cups pure maple syrup
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup dried fruit, any combination (cranberries, apricots, dates, cherries, etc.)
3/4 currants

Preheat oven to 325. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed with Pam. Mix first 6 ingredients. Combine well. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingrients after the half-way point. Watch it closely so as not to burn. Allow to cool in pan, then store in an airtight container.


Cook's Notes: I used the 6 grain mixture in place of the oatmeal. I also had a bag of chopped nuts used for sundaes, so I used those also. I did buy the Maple Syrup at $12 a bottle,(grasp,choke,cough). I opened a #10 can of brown sugar. (We had canned it by putting it in a gallon sized ziploc bag, so it didn't touch the can.)
I bought orange-flavored cranberries on sale and picked up some chopped dried pineapple at Sprouts. I had raisins and added those. I don't know that the maple syrup made that much difference. I think next time I will use honey.

P.S. I tried honey and maple flavored syrup.  I've decided I like just the real maple syrup best.
I tried it this morning for the first time and it was tasty! Even with the non-fat milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment