Monday, December 12, 2011

Quince

All I have been hearing about is Quince.  How wonderful it is, how fabulous it tastes, blah, blah, blah. Well, I made the trek to Whole Foods and bought quince for $2.97 a pound.  I bought almost 5 pounds of the fruit, thinking I'll make jelly and membrillo.

First thing, it doen't smell like a cross between a pear and an apple.  Second thing, it's supposed to turn a beautiful pink color when cooked,  they didn't.  Third thing, they are supposed to be loaded with pectin, they didn't set up. Fourth thing, they don't have that much flavor. You have to add almost as much sugar to it as you have juice. TOO SWEET!

To say I'm not as enamored with this fruit as other people are is an understatement.  I have to cook down the batch of jelly I made and then reprocess it in the WB canner.  It's a good thing it's raining today.  (It's one of the handful of days that it rains in SoCal.)   I will not be singing any joyous Christmas tunes as I open each 1/4 pint jar of jelly, pour it into the pan, cook it down, and reprocess this crap!  Hopefully none of my neighbors read my blog, because they are getting the uber handmade jelly for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment