Friday, May 13, 2011

Week 55

I'm late posting this week.  I do have a recipe that I made the other night. Many of the ingredients you probably have on your shelves. I'm am going to try making corn tortillas again.  When I lived in Guatemala, I would occasionally get to try my hand at it.  It loved the thick tortillas made by hand.  Machine pressed tortillas just aren't the same.

Enchilada Casserole
2 cans red enchilada sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
1 (12 oz) package corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet brown the beef with garlic salt and onion powder, drain fat.  Mix the refried beans with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce and the meat.

Dip enough corn tortillas to cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan, in the remaining tortilla sauce.  Arrange tortillas in the dish.  Spoon in half of the meat mixture, covering the tortillas.  Spread half of the cheeses over the meat.  Cover with another layer of dipped tortillas.  Spoon in remaining meat mixture and top with a final layer of tortillas dipped in the enchilada sauce..  Pour any remaining sauce over the layers and top with remaining cheese.

Cover and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Cook's Notes: I used a can of green and a can of red enchilada sauce.  Instead of ground beef I used ground pork.  I also got some fresh onions from the garden and cooked those in olive oil, then added the ground pork.  If you don't have canned refried beans, the instant refried beans from the cannery work well.  I had a container of 4 blend Mexican cheese, which I used in place of the Jack cheese.  I made this up earlier in the day and kept it in the fridge before cooking.  If you plan on doing this, cook it for about 40 minutes to get it thoroughly heated.  Top with sour cream and sliced black olives.

1 comment:

  1. that looks yummy Kim....excellent.

    Since I became a vegan my joint pain and the sweeling on the joints completely disappeared. My pain right now is caused from the vertebrates that are collapsing from their permanent place. I have servere crippling R. arthritis. This servere type destroys the joint "hinges" that hold the body in place and the body's skeletal frame slowly dislog themselves from their permanent place. When this happens in areas like my spine & hips it pinches the nerves and causes major pain. I have 2 pinched nerves on my third and fourth vertebrate of the neck. I am going into surgery in June in which the surgeon will place titanium rods on that area of the neck to hold the spinal frame in place. I took Remacaid for 1 year but my vegan diet took care of my illness and I have not needed any medications for the RA for 5 years now. I do not have arthritis pain anymore. Dairy and meat causes the joints to swell and hurt. The vegan diet eliminated all my pain & swelling.

    ReplyDelete