Sunday, January 16, 2011

Notes on Whole Wheat Bread

 I was talking to a couple of fellow bread makers today about the recipe I have used as of late.  I let them know that a narrower bread pan works better for ww bread.  I am currently using an 8 x 4 1/2" pan.  This size is narrower which allows the bread to rise up instead of out.  I have been using the recipe with the sponge.  I have only allowed it to sit overnight or longer, not the 5-hour window the author gives in her blog.  For some reason this has given the bread that 'flubber' feel when sliding it from the soak bowl into the mixer.

My friend Jann told me, that a shiny aluminum pan works better for bread baking, according to Alton Brown. 

 I also only use filtered water. I don't think I mentioned that to my friends.  I don't really know if that makes a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I do use narrow pan for my bread...actually Dollartree has the shiny aluminum narrow bread pans and they are great. And for a dollar its even better. I have 2 bread loaves rising right now and they will go into those pans.

    ReplyDelete