Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 50

I think I mentioned that the class went well on Saturday.  We had about 50-60 people in attendance, all interested in learning how to use their wheat.  I heard good things mentioned about it.  I got a text on Saturday night with a pic showing that a friend had actually made wheat bread from her own supply.  I talked to the Bishop about something else today, and he mentioned that he and his wife cooked up some wheat and ate it yesterday.  The idea is to get people familiar with it and how they can use it.  I'm glad it was so well received.  The above pic shows a pilaf I am making for dinner tonight.  It's yummy.  Here's the recipe:

Wheat Berry Pilaf
Ingredients:
• 2 c. wheat berries
• 5 c. water or chicken broth
• 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ tsp. thyme
• 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
• ½ c. chopped onion
• ¼ c. chopped mushrooms
• ¼ c. chopped red pepper
• ¼ c. chopped celery
• ¼ c. diced carrots
Directions:
Bring water or broth to a boil. Add wheat berries and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Sauté onion, celery, mushrooms, pepper and carrots in olive oil. Mix vegetables and wheat berries. Add bay leaf, thyme and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes or until berries are tender.

Cook's Notes: This cooked in a much shorter amount of time, since I used wheat I had precooked in the fridge.  I played around with the amounts and added a cube of bouillon. I can't find my bay leaves, ran out of parsley and don't like thyme. So all I did was salt a pepper it.  It's still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment