DH has been taking my jalapeño jelly into to work. Some of the people wanted more heat, so I made a batch of this.
Strawberry Jalapeño Jam
- 4 cups crushed strawberries
- 1 cup minced jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 (2 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- 7 cups white sugar
- 8 half pint canning jars with lids and rings
- Place the crushed strawberries, minced jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, and pectin into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once simmering, stir in the sugar until dissolved, return to a boil, and cook for 1 minute.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the jam into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart. Allow to cool overnight Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
I also made some Lemon Jalapeño (hot) and Pineapple Jalapeño (mild). DH has a charity fundraiser auction at work and wanted several flavors to put in a basket. I sampled the three flavors. The strawberry is very berry flavored-then the burn, the lemon has a burning lemon tang and the pineapple is fairly mild flavored. I played with pepper, fruit and sugar amounts to get something I liked.