Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Beef Barley Soup

On my Maybe Canning page, I have added recipes that interest me, but I don't know when I'll get around to them.  Does that make sense?  Today I made time to can Beef Barley Soup.  We are such wooses here in SoCal.  It was about 65 degrees and sprinkling and I decided it was soup weather.  I went to Paul Noll's site and made the beef barley soup.  He gives you simple to follow directions and lots of photos.  Since the soup contains vegetables and meat, it has to be pressure canned. This recipe makes 11 quarts.  I followed it and made 20 pints.  A pint is enough for my DH and me.  If I have company I can just open more pints.


Here are the ingredients:
3 Pound Boneless Roast, Roasted and Diced.
7 Quarts water.
4 Medium onion, chopped.
15 large carrots, diced.
2 Cups Pearl Barley.
8 stalks Celery, chopped.
9 Cloves of Garlic, chopped.
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
1 Cube Margarine.
3 Bay leaves.
1 Tablespoon Tarragon.
2 Tablespoons Oregano.
2 Tablespoons Salt.
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper.

If you're wondering about the above pic, it was from the hilarious Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.

No comments:

Post a Comment