Thursday, October 7, 2010

Good Old Meatloaf

Are you ever in the mood for comfort food, like meatloaf.  I was today.  Since we were having the missionaries over for dinner, I knew I could make a large meatloaf and not have to worry about a ton of leftovers.

I found a recipe on the Internet and played with it until I came up with this one.  It was actually quite good.

All the ingredients were items from my pantry.  I only one I purchased was the lean ground beef.

Pantry Meatloaf

2 pound lbs. lean ground beef or a pork & beef mixture
2 Tbl. prepared Mustard
2 Tbl.A-1 steak sauce
1 tsp.sea salt
1 cup dry bread crumbs or oatmeal
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons Tbl. parsley flakes
1 small onion minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
2 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce

SAUCE:
Mix 1/2 cup ketchup with 1/4 cup brown sugar and about the last 20 minutes of baking time put this sauce on top of the meatloaf. These are additional amounts of both Ingredients for the sauce.

Instructions:
Mix all meatloaf ingredients together. Blend well. Pat meatloaf into a 9" loaf pan or make into small individual loaves for single use later. Spread remaining sauce mixture over top of meatloaf. Bake in 400 degree oven for one hour.
My Notes: I used 6 grain cereal mix in place of the bread crumbs. I had run out of fresh eggs, so I didn't use any. I also used dried chopped onions instead of fresh. I made a shallow well on top of the meatloaf and put the sauce on at the beginning of the cooking time. I finished cooking about 1/2 hour before serving to allow the meatloaf to cool slightly.  I sliced it, covered with foil, and put it back in the oven till serving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment