Monday, October 18, 2010

Week 28

Making French Onion Soup

DH had jury duty today, so I stayed home and canned pineapple and french onion soup.  As the weather is cooling down, and it was drizzily, today was a great day for it.

Here's the recipe:
12 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons butter
7 medium onions sliced (I used 5 large)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp steak sauce (any kind)
2 tsp salt if desired (My broth was salty so I did not use)

I cut the onions and cooked in the butter until slightly limp.
I divided the onions evenly among the jars. I added the seasoning to the broth, stirred well, and poured into the jars to the fill line. (add water if needed) I pressured canned at 11PSI for 75 minutes for quarts.

To serve, heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast french bread slices. (1 per bowl)
Then set oven to broil. Use an ovenproof bowl, place on baking sheet, and add soup, then a slice of the toasted bread, then cheese, I use mozzarella and provolone, then sprinkle with parmesan. Put under broiler till the cheese turns brown and serve.
My Notes on the soup.
I used a combination of water, bouillion and marsala wine for the broth.  I used a combination of chicken and beef bouillion.  The onions I browned in olive oil in a cast iron skillet.  They didn't cook long enough to carmelize, but they did brown.  I also used 5 large brown onions, instead of 7.  It made more than enough onions.I used a very generous Tbl. of garlic powder with parsley and 2 Tbl. of Worcestershire Sauce and 1 of A-1.

1 comment: