Sunday, May 2, 2010

72-hr. Car Kit

I gave a lesson at church today about being prepared.  One of the things I talked about was having a 72-hour kit in your car.  Here in California, we live in our cars so it makes sense to have a car kit.  I keep mine in a regular backpack with padded straps.








Here are a some photos of items I've included in my kit.  I also have enough food and water to last me for 3 days.  I have a small wing stove and solid fuel tablets that can be used to cook any of the main dishes.  I filled out a menu, just so I wouldn't eat everything in one sitting.  My DH has MRE's in his kit.  I won't eat an MRE, but I will do high carb foods, like Mac & Cheese.  I need to add some sun screen and a couple other items to fine tune the kit.  I also have small single serving packs of lemonade for the water.  I tend to drink more when water is flavored.  Staying hydrated is very important in a stressful situation.  Also make sure you have extra meds on board.

Since So Cal is very hot, I recommend changing out the food every six months.  Try eating only what is in the food packs for 3 days.  You may want to fine tune what you eat.  If you have kids, let them have it every 6 months, it will be like camping for them.

The small wing stove is from:Wing stove and fuel tablets

If you need more info, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment