Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mango Salsa Recipe

Mango Salsa
This is the recipe for fresh salsa.
2 cups diced mango
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
2 T vinegar
2 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp minced jalapeno
2 tsp minced garlic
1 T  lime juice
2 T chopped cilantro
Mix all ingredients together. and refrigerate at least 2-3 hours

I omitted the garlic and cilantro (DH says it tastes like soap.)
To can it, cook the mango, red pepper and jalapeno for 10 minutes on low.  Add mango and cook another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add lime juice, vinegar and ginger.  I also added about 1/3 cup sugar to balance the heat and sour flavors.
Hot pack as usual.  I'm at sea level so I used a BWB for 10 minutes.

This made 3 pints.  I used (2) 1/2 pint jars that I am giving as gifts.

I also learned that green mangos are in the same plant family as poison ivy.  It is recommended that you wear gloves when handling the mango.  I also have a box of surgical gloves handy in the house.  I wore these to cut the mango, onion and jalapeno.  No problems with touching your eyes when wearing these.

No comments:

Post a Comment