Monday, June 14, 2010

Grandma's Recipes

Here is what you really were waiting for, selected recipes from the recipe box.  Here are two that were filed under Foreign Foods.

Spray for Bugs
1 bulb garlic
1 Tbl cayenne pepper
1 quart water
Stew ingredients together for 1 hour.  Put in blender, strain and spray.

Mustard Plaster
2 Tbl. mustard
4 Tbl flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix in a little warm water and spread between thin cloth.  Put next to neck & chest, cover with a dry towel.  Rub neck with vaseline first &; with rubbing alcohol after taking off.

Here is a recipe my DH remembers as being sooo good.

Linore's Chili Sauce
1 peck ripe tomatoes
1 lb. celery
2 red peppers
1 quart diced onions
3 green peppers
Scald and peel tomatoes, cook till done.  Chop all other vegetables and add to tomatoes.  When thick & done, add 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 Tbl. dry mustard, 2 lbs. brown sugar, 1/4 cup salt and 1 qt. vinegar.
Cook slowly, bottle and seal.  Makes 10-11 pints.

I think I'll bottle some of that, but I think I'll can half that amount.

I was reading on a canning site about someone making raspberry lemonade concentrate and canning it.  The brilliant thing about it was that the woman used her steam juicer to juice the raspberries and then added the juice to the concentrate.  Wow, I hadn't thought of doing that. For me that is so much better than drinking a lemonade with goopies in it.  I hate things like orange juice that is pulpy. Do you chew it or drink it?  I am making more lemonade concentrate with strawberries and other fruits.  Uh, how about cherry lemonade, or blueberry lemonade...

No comments:

Post a Comment