Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pickles

DH & I rode our recumbent bikes at the beach today with some friends of ours. It wasn't breezy and the temp was just right, about 68 degrees. We stopped, ate at IHOP, then rode back to the trucks. I know tough life, huh? 

Back home to the slave canning kitchen. I was excited to make pickles. I cheated and used up some Mrs. Wages Quick Process Dill Pickle Mix. It has been in the cabinet for some time and didn't want to waste it.  I gathered some cukes from the garden. I cut them in a variety of ways, chips, spears, chunks and some small ones I left whole.  The mix is very simple, you just add vinegar and water and bring to a boil.  At first I thought maybe there was something wrong with it, because it turned a very vibrant gold color.  Apparently that's normal.  In the picture it looks orange, but it was really a golden color. I placed the cut cucumbers in the jars and ladled the hot liquid into each jar.  The are processed in a bwb for 10 minutes and viola.  After 24 hours they are ready to be refrigerated and eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment