Friday, March 19, 2010

Canning Friday


I am sooo tired.  Chris and I have been canning spaghetti sauce all day long!  He asked me why we needed to can it instead of just freeze it in foodsaver bags.  Because what happens when the electricity goes out?  The freezer doesn't work.

The sauce spent a few hours on the stove and then we got to work.  We checked on the last items we canned, from 1999 and lets just say I'm sure the worms in the compost bin are eating good tonight.  We really geared up when we didn't know what to expect from Y2k.  This time we canned mostly 1/2 pint jars.  That is enough for two servings of sauce since we're empty nesters...I did can some larger jars for company or when I have to take dinner in to someone at the last minute.

I also made some cafe de Cebada, like I used to drink on my mission.  Cebada is barley in Spanish.  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment