Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Week 4

Okay, did I make the mistake of saying I had the whole wheat bread thing, down?  My mistake.  I tried yesterday to make only one loaf.  I have a new doorstop.  I am DETERMINED to make a great single loaf of whole wheat bread!

Today, I am trying again.  Instead of just halving the ingredients, I am altering the amounts.  So far the proof came out good.  I used 1 1/2 Tbl. yeast, one cup ww flour, and one cup water.  I let it sit for 45 minutes.  It rose nicely.  On to step two; added one cup ww flour & 1/4 cup vital gluten, and mixed well.  I added the oil, honey and salt and continued to add ww flour.  I continued to mix to a nice dough.  I sprayed the kitchenaid bowl with a light coating of Pam and floured it.  I added the ball to the mixed and started to knead on #2 for 10 minutes.  I was worried about the dough sticking to the bowl, so as I saw that beginning to happen, I dusted the sides with a powdered dough enhancer that contains lecithin.  I probably added maybe two tablespoons full.  I placed the dough in my Hammarplast dough bowl and it is rising well.
This bowl is probably one of the best investments I ever made.  You don't need to grease it, the air circulates all around it and with the lid you don't have to worry about drafts.  I purchased it from Williams Sonoma, probably 25 years ago.  I understand the company doesn't make them anymore.  Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment