Friday, March 26, 2010

What to do with a naked chicken...

Ever been to a family gathering and there is a ham bone or chicken carcass with a lot of meat still attached, and someone asks if you want to take it to make soup?  Yeah, right. Not Me!  Well, guess what I'm doing this morning?  Being frugal.  I bought one of those rotisserie chickens that you get pre-cooked at the store.  Chris and I had a nice dinner, but then what?  You are left with a picked apart chicken sitting in the fridge and it usually remains there until you or your spouse gets tired of reaching around it and throws it out.  Yeah, maybe the dog might get a nibble, but then what? Today I am finding out.  I have it boiling on the stove.  I think this is maybe the second time I've ever made chicken soup.  I am going to see if it is edible and can some soup.  I know you're supposed to cook vegetables with it, so I'll add some pureed carrots and celery and season it.  Then here is the brillant part.  I am going to add raw celery and carrots  to it in the jars.  I have to pressure can it, because it has both veggies and meat.  I don't want to have mushy veggies.  I know you aren't supposed to add noodles and can it because they turn to slime.  I like my vegetables to be firm, so I figure why not let them cook in the pressure canner.  More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment