Monday, April 26, 2010

Making Your Own Hamburger Buns

I thought since we were having burgers tonight, I would make my own hamburger buns.


Quick & Easy Thirty Minute Hamburger Buns
from Wheat Cookin' Made Easy by Pam Crockett
3 1/2 cups warm tap water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
6 Tbl. yeast
1 Tbl. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
10 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Combine water, sugar, oil and yeast.  Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425. Add remaining ingredients to yeast mixture and mix well.   Shape into rolls or hamburger buns.  Place on a greased cookie sheet, about 12 to a sheet and let rise for 10-12 minutes.  Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Cook's Notes: I don't know who they were feeding, but 10 1/2 cups of flour?  I halved the recipe and it made 12 nice size buns.  I also used 1 cup ww flour and the rest all-purpose. (I doubt DH would eat them if they were all ww.) The burger fit the bun nicely, and wasn't too much bread like some buns.  I cooked them on a silpat mat.  The dough is very sticky, so flour your hands when shaping the buns.  I also let them raise about fifteen minutes.  Next time I think I will preheat the oven to 425, then cook at 400. 

No comments:

Post a Comment