Friday, April 23, 2010

Small Batch Canning

Who says if you can, you have to make quarts and quarts of something?  I bought apples on sale a couple of days ago.  I was inspired to make the apple pie filling/topping from my oatmeal post.  Since it is just my DH and myself at home now, I decided to can in a small amount that we might use.  With 3 lbs of Granny Smith apples, I set out to cut down a canning recipe.  It made 2 pints and a 1/2 pint.
Small Batch Apple Pie Filling        
3 lbs. Granny Smith apples
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbl. lemon juice
 Peel, core and slice the apples.  Blanche apples for 2 minutes in lightly salted water.  Remove apples from water and add about 1/4 cup of the blanching water.  Mix in the other ingredients and cook until mixture is thick.  Check taste to adjust spices or sugar if necessary.
Process normally in a hot water bath canner for 20 minutes
          I have both of these products and they are so fast, they're terrific.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, as a latter day saint its nice to find someone else sharing the message of preparedness to the world.

    http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small batch works for me.... what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete