Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 8

I've got my ww bread rising in the hot water closet.  It is the best place to raise dough/loaves.  It stays a constant 80 degrees and is right off the kitchen.  Today I thought I'd be brave and substitute flax seed meal for the oil in the recipe. I've read that flax seed meal can be substituted in place of oil in recipes. I added 1/4 cup of the meal, since I am making just one loaf.  It was a definite difference in the dough.  It was so stiff, I just dumped the partially mixed dough and the remaining flour into the kitchenaid bowl and mixed it with the dough hook.  After the flour was completely enveloped, I starting the timer to knead for 10 minutes.  This is the result:
I also have a recipe I used yesterday to make cookies.  It uses ingredients I have in my food storage.
Cupboard Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 325.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and the sugars, until light and fluffy.  Add egg and mix till blended.  Add oil and mix till blended.
Add oats, cornflakes coconut and nuts; stir until well blended.  Add flour, baking soda and salt.  Mix well and form into balls the size of small walnuts.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten with a fork dipped in water.
Bake for 12 minutes.  Allow to cool on cookie sheets for a few minutes before serving.  Makes 8 dozen.

Cook's Notes; I didn't have cornflakes, so I used Life cereal, and it tasted fine.  Also, I only baked these cookies for about 10 minutes.  You can also sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar just after you remove them from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment